The awesome thing about an Infinity Dress is that you can wrap it in an infinite number of ways to get exactly the style and attitude you’re going for. While it’s easy to see there are many different options for the front of your dress (see our 5 Sexy Ways to Wrap Your Infinity Dress or 6 of the Easiest Infinity Dress Wraps), you can also wrap the back almost as many ways. Here we show you 6 Infinity Dress Back Options.
Our infinity dress sewing pattern has instructions for a deluxe version that works for either pregnant or not pregnant bodies! It also includes an optional bandeau that you can wear (or not) with any of these styles for increased skin coverage, especially in the back where it will cover a bra.
1. Cross. One of the simplest backs is a simple cross. You can control the width of the straps by spreading, gathering, or twisting them.
2. Twisted Cross. Add a little interest to the back cross by twisting the straps around each other where they cross.
3. Column Twist. Repeatedly twist your straps around each other to make a column. If you twist each strap independently first and then twist them around each other the other direction (clockwise vs. counter-clockwise) your twist will be more defined.
4. Single Strap. For front twist design that go over a single shoulder you can continue to treat the two straps as one for their whole length.
5. Wide Set Straps. Show off your back décolletage by keeping your straps straight and wide set.
6. Interwoven. Get fancy! I’m not even sure I can repeat how I did this one, much less describe it. But if you think of the wraps that go around your body as something you can weave in and out of the straps that go vertically then you can make some creative displays.
Maternity Sewing was founded by Lisa Kievits and Erin Weisbart. They created Maternity Sewing to help you love your body and your wardrobe while pregnant and after. Read more about Erin & Lisa.